Friday, August 3, 2012

"My Digital Plague" at the AVA Gallery



Opening of three solo exhibitions at the AVA Gallery


AFRICA WITHOUT BORDERSAdolf Tega
Opening address by Lionel Davis
MY DIGITAL PLAGUEMaurice Mbikayi

REMERGEKitty Dorje


Opening at 18:00 on
Monday, 30 July 2012Exhibition closes at 13:00 on Friday, 24 August 2012



Maurice Mbikayi writes of his installation:

I’m dragged into a virtual world of codes daily. There in that valley, an irresistible fascination and a whispering concern, transforms me into something alien - battling my digital demons. Every day is inevitably tiring; I click, type and enter this world. Suddenly I’m surrounded by an overwhelming invasion of aliens. I backspace; try to shift, but their mobility and fashionable grip on me Ctrl my moves. Then I pause - break, try to upgrade my hits: 1, 2, 3. But the aliens inject me with their multiple insidious diseases. I slowly contract some insane after effect experiences: Speed dial moves, focus on subjects, zoom in, zoom out, click on this , click on that - Bluetooth into the brain, just couldn’t get my senses. I twitted, I tagged; it became worse. Before I realized it, I was a half alien, locked up in the “Silly Valley”, googling my dreams to be one of them, with my Negro skin suffering the hypodermic injections of their insatiable grid.


Association for Visual Arts Gallery
35 Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa
Gallery hours: Weekdays 10h00 to 17h00,
Saturdays 10h00 to 13h00
Closed Sundays and public holidays
Phone: +27-21 424-7436,
Fax: +27-21 423-2637,
avaart@iafrica.com
http://www.ava.co.za/























No comments:

Post a Comment