Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spier Contemporary 2010 Biennial: A Public Performance outside The City Hall


Artist's statement:


In this work, I explore elements of an existing relationship betweem a new country and me: Things that are subjects of questioning and debates, I'm inspired in this performance by living in a cosmopolitan society and experiencing multifaced reality of cultures, tribes,languages and races. I therefore approach the question of identity and difference. My experience as a black foreign male living in constant uncertainty can sometimes make me defensive. Identity and differences can be a positive thing of richness and diversity. However in many cases there is a perception of divergence and distance. Therefore my relationship with South Africa generally and Cape Town in particular is both positive and negative. It is about anxiety the question of origin and space and the violence that results when one has to compete for priority and attention. But it is also a new social place of richness and diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment